By: Mark Noonan Plumbing Mart President
- Ofeeling to your kitchen – a great solution if you are renovating in a smaller space
- Consider a kitchen island. An extra surface in your kitchen can sometimes be a real life saver. Install an island with granite or marble countertop and an undermount sink for extra prep space – or an extra sink to have some hands help you with the dishes. Get a rolling island that can be used as extra seating for guests, or be rolled to the side as a buffet. Don’t think you have enough space? Think again. From rolling to stationary islands, from big to small, there are plenty of options customizable to fit your space.
- Create customized storage. Whether you will be installing it in your cabinetry or the kitchen island, consider what you use most in your kitchen, what needs a special space, and determine how you can customize shelving to create a functional space. Upright steel slats create a great place for heavy baking sheets, deeps shelves apen up and use every inch. Instead of upper cabinets, install open shelving in your kitchen so your most-used items are at an easy reach. Not only is open shelving functional, but it also adds a more open and airy re perfect for large bowls, pots and serving dishes, and small cubbies are great for hand towels and small utensils.
- Go with glass kitchen cabinets. If you have some beautiful dishware you want to display, glass cabinets installed in the kitchen are the way to do it. With glass cabinets, you create the feel of a piece of furniture in your kitchen, and it can change the dynamic of the typically monotonous wall-to-wall enclosed wooden cabinetry. Also, if you are renovating in a small space, glass cabinetry can help to open up and brighten up your kitchen.
- Don’t forget the kitchen sink. When it comes to kitchen sinks, the bigger, the better. If you are going to be cleaning out large pots and cookwear, or have a large load of hand-wash-only dishes to do after a holiday party, you are going to need a big sink to get the job done efficiently. Undermount sinks are also a great option, it makes cleaning a breeze as you can wipe the debris off of the counter right into your sink. When orienting the placement of your workspace in your renovation, place the kitchen sink underneath the window. As much as you may want to forget it, you will be spending at least some time there washing dishes, so why not enjoy some scenery while you’re at it?
5 ½ … And the sink faucet too. High gooseneck faucets make it easy to fill large pots and vases, and to maneuver things in and out of the sink.